There are different types of massage and each type do utilize different techniques to provide your body with that relaxation it needs. Each type does have its advantages and employment, among the most common types of massage or the ones we can possibly refer to as regular massage are deep tissue massage and Swedish massage. Different types of massage are used to recover from body damage, relieve pain, others just for relaxation and to relieve stress among other reasons. But how does hot stone massage differ from the Swedish and deep tissue massage? In this article we are going to be comparing them so that you know exactly what you are purchasing and how it is going to help you.
When most people hear of the word massage, what comes to their mind is Swedish massage. This type of massage has become so common and it is offered by all of the massage clinics, spas and even if you hire a mobile therapists you can be sure he will give you a Swedish massage too. There is nothing complicated about Swedish massage, if you want it you just need to book a massage and the advisor is going to explain to you what will transpire. If you have any medical condition, it is very important that you say in advance so that they can note it down so that they can give you a tailored massage that is going to make you happy.
Benefits of Swedish massage
Swedish massage has many benefits to your body both physical and emotional. If you are wondering what you are going to achieve from a Swedish massage, here are some of the benefits.
- Improved circulation of blood. A Swedish massage is improves the circulation of blood to the different areas of concentration and when blood circulation is improved, it leads to distribution of oxygen and other nutrients to the whole body and hence improved health.
- Can be used to lower pain. I guess you have all heard that massage can help you lower pain, deep tissue massage is the most effective when it comes to this but Swedish massage can help you too. When the right amount of pressure is applied to the areas in pain, it will increase the flow of blood and nutrients which promotes healing and hence lowering pain.
- Helps you relax and lowers stress. When it comes to relaxation and lowering stress levels, Swedish massage takes a seat at the top. The therapist magical touch and the use of essential oils which brings about a good scent as well as the environment in the spa is just so relaxing.
Swedish massage is classy and it got a lot of benefits the above is just to mention but a few. Having said that, let us look at what hot stone massage has to offer.
Hot stone massage
This type of massage is a bit different from the other types of massage and some people consider it as the most relaxing type of massage. The therapist uses hot stones to weigh down your body on specific pressure points. And instead of just using his hands like the other types of massage, the therapist will use hot stones.
The heat as well as the smoothness of the hot stones rolling over your body is more relaxing compared to Swedish and deep tissue massage but can be more invigorating compared to Swedish massage. The hot stones are known to help release tension from your back and shoulders which allows the muscles to work more effectively. It works effectively for the people with tense muscles and in need of extreme relaxation.
Benefits of hot stone massage
Just like Swedish massage, hot stone massage has got many advantages which include:
- Hot stone massage helps relieve pain, tension, muscle spasms and it also improves the relaxation of muscles. When the muscles are relaxed, it leads to increased flexibility.
- Hot stone massage releases toxins in your body which are known to help improve your skin.
- Hot stone massage significantly lowers stress levels as well as lower anxiety.
- Just like Swedish massage, this type of massage also improves the circulation of blood in the body as well as flow of energy.
- Creates a very comfortable environment and it also promotes better sleep.
Deep tissue massage
Deep tissue massage is the other common type of massage, it is mostly used to treat musculoskeletal problems such as sports injuries and strains. Unlike Swedish and hot stone massage, the deep tissue massage applies substantial amount of pressure using slow and deep strokes to the inner layers of your connective tissues and muscles.
This technique helps break down scar tissue that usually form after an injury as well as help reduce muscle and tissue tension. Deep tissue massage promotes faster healing as it promotes increased blood flow as well as reduce inflammation.
Deep tissue massage is different from the other type of massage even when it comes to the intended use. The intended use of the other types of massages is to help promote relaxation while the main goal of deep tissue massage is to treat chronic pain so you should be prepared for it is not as comfortable as the other two. The area of focus is also different as it focuses on inner layers of the muscles while the other ones focuses on superficial layers of the muscles.
Benefits of deep tissue massage
Unlike the other two which focus mainly on relaxation, deep tissue massage is going to help treat muscle pain as well as improve stiffness. If you have any of the following issues, you can benefit from deep tissue massage:
- Plantar fasciitis.
- Tennis elbow.
- Sports injuries.
- High blood pressure.