It may still be months from now, but your thoughts may already be preoccupied with what your college life could be like. You’re already anticipating what your dorm will be like, the kind of roommates you will have and of course the classes you will be taking.
You’ve probably tried interviewing college friends or even read articles and books so you will know what to expect. To add to what you already know, read the list below to find out some things you may know about going to college.
- There will be a period of adjustment – this is a given. There’s no doubt that you will go through a period of adjustment when you get to college. After all, it is a new phase in your life. You will have to move out of your home and live with strangers. If you’re the type who never had to do chores, you will have to fend for yourself. You will need to learn how to cook, clean and do your own laundry. In order not to get too overwhelmed, you can start training yourself even before you leave for college.
- You will not need to bring everything you own – it might be tempting to recreate your bedroom at home in your dormitory, but it would be a wrong decision. Chances are, your room at the university will be smaller than your own room, so it would be a bad idea to bring all your things there. Just bring whatever is necessary. Instead of taking your items inside the room, scout around your university for any unique finds that you can add to your dormitory.
- It is not necessary to buy all the textbooks – even before you get to college, you might have already gotten a list of textbooks that you would need for your classes. You might think that you need to have all of them ready by the first day of class. But based on the experience of many students, it seems that there are times when the textbook will not even be used at all. So it’s better to wait until your professor actually tells you that textbook is needed for the class instead of buying it only to find out that you have wasted your money.
- There may be times when you will be overwhelmed – many who have graduated claim that college was one of the most stressful time of their lives. There are sleepless nights cramming for a paper, moments when they are overwhelmed by not just the pressure of getting good grades but sometimes even from their friends. Some are too pressured that it leads to them commit substance abuse. If you ever find yourself experiencing this, centers like https://www.palmerlakerecovery.com can help you with your treatment.
- You will be making memories that will last a lifetime – despite all the challenges faced, you’ll never have the chance to go through college again. Make the most out of it because the experiences you will go through will bring with it memories that will be with you until you get old.